Friday, March 28, 2008

Coral Bay Pix

Have just uploaded about 90 of my favourite photos from the Easter holiday long weekend at Coral Bay.

Here are a couple of my favourite ones, the rest you should be able to see from my Flickr account.







The photos that I were the most disappointed over were the shark ones. On our last day at Coral Bay we went on a kayaking tour where they took us to a notorious spot where reef sharks were prevalent. When we arrived at the spot and swam to the area it was an awesome sight seeing these creatures in their natural habitat swimming around.

And what was even more pleasant was that they didn't seem too perturbed by us (that could've been due to the fact that the main kayak instructor told us NOT to swim down and TO stay close to the coral reef!).

Initially when we arrived there were only three reef sharks. It seemed like they had just finished breakfast as they swam around with their mouths open wide whilst some smaller fish darted in and out cleaning their teeth.

By the time it was ready for us to leave there were about 6 reef sharks circling us underneath. And little did I realise that I began drifting out to them (away from the coral!). It wasn't until one particular shark got a little too close for MY comfort that I realised how far I had drifted and that everybody else had began making their way back to the kayaks!

Eeep!

I was alone with a white tipped reef shark showing off his many various sets of teeth.

I wish at that instance I took a photo, because the shark was pretty close, but being a little concerned about my own personal welfare I quickly walked on water back to the safety of the coral reef and kayak group!!

Anyway, I didn't upload this photo to Flickr as it's pretty useless, but here's the best of the bad bunch from the shark photos...

7 comments:

Likalia said...

Gorgeous shots. :)

Oh and DUDE THAT IS A SHARK!!! WHY WERE YOU IN THE WATER!!!!!


*ahem* I'm fine.

Ryan said...

Thanks Likalia!

You might even be able to see some sharks should you jump off Blackwall Reach and dive deep enough!

;-)

Jen said...

Wow...some of the most beautiful pictures youve taken yet.

Im sort of impressed with you at this moment. Dont let it go to your head. : )

Ryan said...

Thanks Jen.

I'll take the compliment and let it get to my head when you're not looking.

;-p lol

Ryan said...

And hopefully I'll be seeing some of the same during Florida's summer this year!

Jen said...

Ill see what I can do. Im about to have to replace my camera. Mine is getting old and doesnt want to flash the way she did when she was new...lol

But I have to tell you...I dont have the eye you do for photography. Ill be lucky if I get any that look this good.

Ryan said...

Jen, if I can do it, you can too. Just point and click girl. Give it enough time and practice and you'll see what works.