Sunday, May 13, 2007

My Brother's Week

Mother's day was slightly different today... it definitely wasn't the same as the other 29 I'd been used to!

The reason for the difference started on Friday night with my brother and his wife celebrating their combined birthday celebrations over dinner with my parents.

"We have some news," my brother's wife began.

Immediately mum sensed the tone and manner in which she spoke those 4 words to soon spill the words "I'm pregnant" and the expression on mum's face quickly made my brother's wife quash those concerns.

"Oh no, I'm not pregnant," she said and didn't blink before continuing with, "Adam's been offered a job."

"That's fantastic!" mum and dad commended, but before they could finish she added - "...in Queensland."

Oh.

When mum told me the news later that night she was in tears. It was a mixture of happiness of a new chapter being turned, yet also one of sadness - a sense of loss.

It was only last Sunday that we were all happily celebrating my brother's 27th birthday, and now, less than a week later, we were now celebrating their move onward and upward in the world.

So mother's day celebrations today were definitely different. It felt like more of a goodbye party, with gifts given to all mothers present.

Don't get me wrong I think it's great that my brother and his wife are moving on in the world. In fact, truth be known, everyone kind of knew that they were going to move to the other side of Australia before they had kids - I guess no one knew it would happen within a year of being married, but it's probably for the best.

I wish them all the best.

My lil bro is all grown up.

3 comments:

danish said...

Isn't how funny how lives change so quickly?

I have about ten years between my little brother and I. In my mind, he'll always be five years old--which is why when I heard he had a crush on a girl, I was like "What? No. That's not possible".

But hey. Things change. People grow up. Granted, my little brother's crush isn't him moving to the other side of the country, but still. It all starts somewhere.

Bit a of bummer for your mom's mother's day, but best of luck to your brother. Now you'll have a fun new place to visit, Ryan! =)

Jen said...

Best of Luck to your brother Ryan. I know its hard on your mom that hes got to move so far away...But she still has YOU. : )

Ryan said...

Dana: Yes... mmm... the Gold Coast. In fact on Monther's Day that's what everyone was talking about - Christmas on the Gold Coast!!

I hope my brother and his wife are able to find a place big enough for all of us!! :o)

Jen: I couldn't have said it better myself.

;o)