Monday, February 05, 2007

Anybody Got A Flower I Can Pluck?

Somtimes I wish life were a little easier when it came to situations such as these, although if life were easier it probably wouldn't be as fun, right?

Ok, this post may get a little controversial at the end, and may even come across a little piecemealy... so brace yourselves!

Saturday night's party went well. My mate Jon was turning 30 (something which made me contemplate my big 3-0 later this year too!), and besides catching up with some long lost friends, most of my time was spent with a little 5'7" shadow named Karina.

Yes, the woman with the big beautiful blue broken eyes. ;o)

After I had said my hello's to those who I hadn't seen in ages she came over and sat down next to me and we set out on the usual "how have you been, how was new year's..." etc etc tangents.

But, being the odd-ball that I am I didn't decide to stay on this boring track too long...

"Having any toothaches lately?" I asked during a momentary pause in our conversation.
"What?" she replied - a little stunned that the conversation had turned onto her teeth.
"Well I have your toothbrush and toothpaste at home that you left down in Albany, and I'm just wondering whether you've been keeping your teeth clean?"

Not to be out done she replied, "Well I *did* go and buy another toothbrush and some toothpaste you know."

"Oh sure," I said in a playful tone, "you've probably just been wiping your teeth on your sleeves or something."

Her mouth dropped.

"See, I can even spot a few holes already," I continued pointing to her teeth.

Although her teeth were fine I could see she was blushing, I quickly changed tack - "Well I'm holding your toothbrush and paste hostage, if you want them you're going to have to fight for them."

But the conversation was interrupted with another long lost friend who came over and caught up with us.

After the lovely BBQ dinner I shared with other friends at a table Karina found a vacant chair next to mine and quietly sat down, I turned to her and began another interesting conversation.

I reminded her of a certain time in Albany...

"Do you remember when were in Albany and you said that you knew pretty much every physio in W.A.?" I asked.

She remembered, "Yes, why?"

"Well it just so happens that I know a physio and I asked him whether he knew you."

She looked a little harder into my eyes, I could sense a little tension, so I ran with it.

"And my friend told me a few things about you that helped explain certain things," I said stroking my chin in an Inspector Clouseusque kind of way, "he said, 'Oh yes I know Karina, she something something something... something something something.'"

"What did he say?" she asked.

"Oh, I'm not going to tell," I replied, "I may need him for further intel." :o)

I could tell she was beginning to get a little uneasy.

"Well I hope it's nothing bad," she said, a little worried of the opinion I might now have of her.

It wasn't.

"Well if it was really bad I wouldn't be here," I calmly said noticing that maybe there was something else a little more deeper here.

"So what's his name then?" she asked, a little too keenly.

"Oh, I'm not going to tell that either," I said cocking an eyebrow, "I don't want you putting a horse's head in his bed one night with a message 'keep quiet'."

For the next 5 minutes she pleaded for a name... and I didn't budge a bit. She even took a few guesses, but all fell short.

I could sense her change of mood, and I could also sense that she was somewhat concerned.

"Don't believe what anyone says," she pleaded, which made me now worry whether she had any skeleton's that were lying in the closet of this little girl's past.

Hmm, I thought, I really may have to get further intel from my mate!

Apart from those two episodes I was actually quite surprised at Karina in comparison to the last times I had met her, believe it or not she HAD somewhat actually changed... and there was likely a reason for this change too.

For those of you who've been to this blog you would've known from this post that Karina wasn't single during the previous times I had been with her (including the trip down in Albany).

During the party she expounded on what had happened after Albany with the relationship she had with that bloke... and it didn't go too well - for the bloke that is. She pretty much gave him the flick and told him not to come over from the other side of Australia, but he still did anyway. After several more unsuccessful attempts the guy eventually got the hint and left for Melbourne (FJ watch out!).

So at this party she made it well aware that she was single... *hint* *hint* *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink* and all that stuff, and, again, to be honest I was a little impressed at a slight change in her personality since my previous encounters, I mean, she actually made me laugh a few times!

(Yeah, I know, I was actually in shock the first few times and my laughs came out a little weird, but I had never seen this side before - was this a result of the weight she had released from the relationship she had with the bloke from Brisbane? Which actually makes for an interesting discussion point: you can generally tell how well a couple is suited together by looking at how each has changed - has it been for the better or the worse? Anyhoo...)

By the end of the night just as she was about to leave I got her digits. I felt the need to do some more exploring, if she hadn't of made me laugh during the party I wouldn't have pursued.

Could there be light at the end of the tunnel? Had her ex brought out the dark side? Hmm... I guess I'll find out more when I meet her next.

But now onto a slightly tougher point... I'm possibly being set up by my brother's wife who seems hell bent on trying to get herself in my good graces. And she feels as though this can easily be accomplished by setting me up with my future wife.

Well, if her history is anything to go by I don't really fancy her chances with this next one, however, there is a slight difference with this one though... in fact, there's two slight differences with this one (compared to the other 4!).

Firstly, my brother has seen this chic and remarks that she is quite hot (and don't forget my brother chased Karina one time) so at least we know that my brother know's what a hot chic looks like. And secondly this mysterious chic's name is Joy.

I haven't detailed much about this in here, but my grandma's name was Joy and my grandma and I were very close. When she was struck with cancer it was difficult for me to see her in such a fragile state. The love, the laughter, the joy that she was had been sapped from the cancer that infected her.

What was to be her last week on earth my parents asked if I wanted to come and see grandma in hospital. For the first time I declined to go. My parents understood. But several days later we received the phone call from my grandfather that she had passed away. I cried and cried and cried, and I think I cried so much that my tear glands have dried up ever since, but yes nana Joy - an amazing woman.

And if I were ever lucky enough to find that elusive woman who would want to become my wife (and who would actually want kids), I wouldn't hesitate in naming my daughter Joy. Which will make my introduction to this mystery woman VERY unique...

BROTHER'S WIFE [TO JOY]: Allow me to introduce you to Ryan. Joy this is Ryan.
BROTHER'S WIFE [TO ME]: Ryan this is Joy.
ME [EXTENDING HAND OUT TO SHAKE]: Hi, Joy, pleased to meet you.
JOY [RETURNING HAND SHAKE]: Hi.
ME: Joy... that's such a beautiful name.
JOY: Why thank you... my parent's picked it. [SMILING]
ME: Well occassionally I'll pick my nose... but you won't heat me bragging about it!
[okay I'll probably edit that line out!]
ME: Which makes me ask this rather odd question: are you a good Joy or an evil Joy? And I hope you're not a kill Joy... otherwise I'm going to have to call the cops!
JOY: [LAUGHS/SHOCKED] Umm... what?
ME: Well see if I have a daughter I'd like to be able to call her Joy, because there aren't too many girl's names that I like, and I don't really want to give her that name if there's an evil woman who wants to rule the world named Joy too. So it would really help me out if you could tell me whether you want to rule the world with your secret evil society... and if you like cats (all traits common of Dr. Evil in Austin Powers).

So how do you think that introduction will go? One that she'd never forget? Yeah, I'd like to think so too! :o)

But herein lies the problem: the party when this is likely to all go down is not until next month... 4 weeks away. Karina knows that there's nothing going on between us yet, but I'd think she'd be expecting at least a coffee or two together in the meantime.

Now to understand the controversial topic of this whole ordeal put yourself in Karina's shoes with the knowledge you now have about my predicament and suppose over the next couple of weeks that we've had a couple of coffees together (probably even a meal) and things have gone quite well.

If you knew that the guy you were interested in was keeping you at bay because of someone he's being hooked up with might be better than you in the not-too-distant future, how would that make you feel?

Yeah, not too good huh?

Anyway, it's getting really late, more about this later... and I'd love to hear your thoughts/queries.

4 comments:

danish said...

Hmmmmmmmm.

I don't like that she said "Don't believe what anyone says". That's fishy (and kinda high school-y. Granted, I'm not the best with guys, but I'd like to think I wouldn't say something weird like that.)

Though maybe she just said that because she thinks this person told you about how she doesn't brush her teeth? ;)

And Joy... hmmm. 4 weeks. Okay. If Karina is going to that party too, you could wait a couple of weeks to see Karina, then have an innocent coffee session. Then, two weeks later, you'll be at that party and you'll be able to better assess things between both of them. Because yes, it would really suck for all parties involved if you kinda (but not really?) started something with Karina and then dropped it once you realized that Joy was the one. At least if you only see Karina once in the interim, if it turns out that she's not going to make the cut, it won't be really bad. Does that makes sense? @_@ And honestly, I don't even know if that's a great idea--that's just something I would consider.

Oh and by the way--since when is 5'7"little?! Are you some sorta giant, man? O_o And about your upcoming big 3-0--how old is Karina? You may have mentioned it before, but I don't remember. Her age may (or may not) help gain some insight about her.

Ryan said...

Hey Dana!

Yeah, I must admit the "Don't believe what anyone says" bit kinda made me feel a little nervous and curious. If she had of said it with a smile I wouldn't have thought twice about it, but she didn't.

Maybe there is something in her past... and maybe that's the reason why she travels around the world so much - she may not be looking for something, she may be running from something???

I dunno.

I also find it interesting that I'll be busy in three out of the next 4 weekends (1 wedding, 1 engagement party & 1 house warming party) - and none of these will see her there. The only time we could possibly see each other during a weekend will be this coming Saturday.

And I hope Karina doesn't do anything crazy on Valentine's Day!! Eeek!

PS - 5'7" is tiny! ;op
PPS - Karina is 26 this year... and I *think* Joy is 24, but I could be confusing Joy's age with someone else.

FJ said...

Hmmm, you're in a pickle aren't you?

I'm sorry, Ryan, but I don't have any great words of wisdom to offer, or any sound advice either, but I'll just say this:

If she's saying "Don't believe what anyone says" without a smile and a laugh, she's either hiding something, or got a very odd sense of humour.

I say that variations of that all the time, but it's always in the context of a joke. I've got no reason to say that beyond stirring people up. LOL

Also, that she keeps pressing you to tell her who said it...

Anyway, for what it's worth, I don't think going out with her a couple of times (Since you like her a bit already) is a bad thing, even if you do go to the party and meet Joy.

If things change between you and Karina, one way or the other, then the way she reacts to that will tell you even more about her personality, if you know what I mean.

Either way, take care of yourself and most importantly, have a good time.

...Fiona.

PS: I bet none of that made sense, either... LOL

Ryan said...

Very wise words there Fiona, give yourself some credit there girl.

I personally wouldn't mind if I wasn't attached to someone and they went and "checked out" someone else, because then at least I'd know that I didn't prevent someone from meeting the love of their life.

If though I were attached it'd probably feel hurt, but it wouldn't bother me in the long run because it'd be far better for that to have happened NOW rather than later when you're married... then it would hurt like hell!