Monday, January 29, 2007

Male Bonding

If I start this blog by stating that at camp I slept with two different blokes both nights it will kinda give the wrong impression.

But it's true... it's just that we never slept in the same bed.

Ok, now that I have that qualified I'll move on...

On the first night Mark and I slept in the vacant dorm next door - only because Gav was snoring his head off which made it terribly difficult for the rest of us to sleep. As the night wore on talk between us moved from his trip that he did in the States (that he did during Christmas) to chics.

In fact, during his time in the U.S. of A. Mark was able to meet a special someone - talk about quick! When I asked what she did Mark explained that she worked with girls who had been raped, I found this somewhat strange initially, but when he added that she had been raped by 6 guys at the tender age of 15 my heart wept... and then I wanted to hit something.

"What would you do if your daughter or wife were raped?" he asked.
I knew my words were going to be very un-Christian, especially in a setting such as this... a church camp... but I said it regardless, "To be honest mate, I'd probably kill the guys who did it."

The room fell silent.

Oops, maybe I should'nt have said that, I thought.

"Me too," Mark whispered, "and it's a shame that she blames God for what happened so it's been difficult to teach her about the gospel."

It is a shame that whenever anything bad happens God will always get the wrap for it - even if that person never believes in a God in the first place! But I can guarantee that the idiots that did such an act to this girl weren't godly men.

Then why did God let it happen? If God is all-powerful and all-mighty and stuff why didn't he stop it?

This is the problem with freewill - we have the freedom to choose whatever we want to do and herein lies the conundrum - if everything everyone did was "good", how would we know it was "good"? We wouldn't know what good was unless we knew was bad was too. Now God gave us a manual to help us live good lives (he created us so you'd think he'd know a thing or two about us), but he also warned us on what would happen if we ever did anything bad... "For the wages of sin is death." (Rom 6:23)

I don't wish it upon anyone that they be a victim of any bad act whether it be theft, rape or murder. But unfortunately as the world continues to neglect the very God who created it we're going to get worse and worse.

Anyhoo, second night was with Matty who proposed to his woman at the end of last year. So conversations with him were a little different compared to Mark's, but unfortunately Matty's conversations continued even when he slept...

As I was laying there trying to find a comfortable cool position in bed (which was impossible), I heard Matty yell out, "It's okay, it's okay."

I quickly sprang out of bed expecting some boys from a nearby dorm to be invading with shaving cream and toothpaste bombs but alas there was no one. Went I back to bed I slowly was beginning to drift off to sleep but just as I was about to Matty yelled out again, "Watch the door!"

I sprang out of bed again and looked out at our doors that we had left wide open to allow the slightly-less-than-hotter-in-here heat seep into our dorm... but again it was nothing.

Aw dude, is this going to be happening all night! I put my pillow over my head and through suffocation I eventually fell asleep.

However, it wasn't long until I awoke again with a startle, but this time it wasn't Matty it was now the very double doors we had left open - they were now bashing against each other due to the strong gusty winds that had suddenly come from the lightning storm that night.

It was this third awakening and I knew I wasn't going to be in the best of moods the next day. The remainder of the night was spent trying to find the once lost comfortable position, but when the doors were closed the humidity in the room built up and our room now had turned into a sauna.

I don't think I barely slept a wink that night.

At the end of the camp (the next day) my brother called asking if I could help him move house today... "Dude, I'm so friggin tired, and sore I'd be more of a hindrance than a help."

Sorry bro.

I would've helped, but I had one hell of a night.

I hope everything went ok with your move... especially considering it was 40-odd degrees that day!!

2 comments:

FJ said...

Wow. That's about all I can say. Wow.

Very well said, and very true too.

FJ.

danish said...

Hm, killing the guys that did it... I don't know. Not that I haven't thought the same thing, but... at the same time, it's so heinous a thing to me that I can't even comprehend what to do with a person who has done that kinda thing. And blaming God is never a good thing--whenever stuff like this happens and I get upset, I have to remind myself about the 'free will' part. It can be hard! ~_~;

Did you tell your screaming in the night friend about his... vocalness in his sleep? 'cause that's a bit crazy. Talking in your sleep is one thing, screaming outright is another. O_O; I'd want to know if I did that...