Saturday, December 02, 2006

The Best Saddest News Of The Year

It was a tough day for my sister yesterday... she broke up with her man of 7 months, and let's just say it wasn't a smooth break up.

I don't think I've commented about their relationship on this blog as I've done so with other relationships and there's never really been anything positive I've said about any of them - two relationships I know about that I've posted a lot on were definitely negative, with one of those relationships braking up, and the other getting happily married.

(If there's one profession I know I'll never get into and that's pre-marital or relationship counselling!)

Seeing the relationship my sister had with this loser was a difficult one. Initially after meeting the guy and trying to get to know him I wondered what she ever saw in him, as I couldn't find anything of substance. However, after learning from my mistakes of not being encouraging enough to the relationship that married I decided to swallow my opinions and just be happy for them.

Maybe it's just me because I'm all bitter and twisted due to my singledom, I thought.

But believe me it was a hard thing to swallow and I'm thankful that I wasn't alone in my opinion of the bloke. Many friends and family members couldn't believe it and they'd often ask me questions about what she saw in him...

"What does she see in him?" they'd ask.

"Uh... I dunno."

"Does he have money?"

"Uh... no."

"Does he have a job?"

"Uh... no."

"Does he have personality?"

"Uh... no."

In fact, come to think of it, I don't think there was one person who actually said to me "Gee, don't they look good together."

That's sad.

As time past I began seeing more and more of how little depth and character this bloke had.

And eventually when the times got rough in the relationship she asked for my opinion about the matter.

I could no longer keep my concerns in, and on that one quiet night I let it all out. We spoke about it for hours.

Thankfully she took it quite well, and even though she still dated the guy for a month after that talk I think it gave her the fresh eyes to see him for what he really was: a spoilt little boy.

(He definitely wasn't a man.)

Soon, things came to a head, and on Thursday night he exploded and verbally abused his grandmother, all in front of my sister and my sister's friend. The next day (yesterday) my sister had had enough of his childish outbursts and confronted him to break things off.

He wasn't happy.

He threw objects around the room, and swore at her. Scared of the situation she quickly left and went to my parent's home, where I was too, and burst into the house crying her little heart out.

She had plenty of shoulders to cry on thankfully.

It was hard, but it had to be done.

Unfortunately though, the next wave of abuse occurred when he then called her and tried to reconcile, but it was all too little too late.

Sensing the losing battle, he then resorted to all desperate measures even telling her that he was going to commit suicide.

What a friggin jerk (I'd use much more colourful language believe me - my blood was boiling yesterday).

But throughout all the tirade it showed the true nature of the beast - an insecure, pathetic little boy who never takes responsibility for his own actions.

Half of me hopes that he does come around here, but the other half hopes he doesn't... I don't want to do anything that I might regret later, but I tell ya, it wont take me much after what he put my sister through yesterday.

I've got to cool down... I'm off to the beach.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I HATE people who use emotional blackmail to try and force a reconciliation.

If that were to happen to me, that someone should threaten suicide if I broke up with them, it'd be on the tip of my tongue to say "Well, go ahead then, and make sure you do it properly too"

Ryan, your sister will hurt for awhile after this, but soon enough she'll feel happy again and find someone else who is much better for her than this bloke, just tell her that and offer her alot of love.

Not much else you can do until she's over the initial hurt.

...FJ.

Ryan said...

I agree FJ, people who stoop *that* low during a break-up are really scraping the bottom of the barrel and just show how immature they are. It's something you'd expect a 13 year old to say, not a 27 year old "man".