Friday, October 13, 2006

Ok That Was Awkward

Last year a friend of mine gave me a Sanity voucher which was set to expire in a couple of days. I had used it to purchase a DVD, but still had about $15 left on it.

So... not one to waste, I decided to use the remainder of it.

It was when I was walking my way to the Garden City Sanity store that I saw my ex-girlfriend's best friend coming the other way.

When I saw her it quickly dawned on me that she had once worked at the Sanity store in Garden City... but I thought she had given up that job ages ago?? Obviously not.

Uh-oh.

I braved a smile and as she approached she glanced up, saw me, quickly looked back down at her bag, but in that split second glance up she registered who I was and looked back up at me.

"Hello," I said as the travellators pulled us closer.

"Hi," she smiled.

And then that awkward silence fell.

Gee I wish travellators would move faster, I thought.

"Finished work?" I asked as we got to within touching distance.

"Yeah," she answered.

"I'm just on my way there," I said.

By now we had crossed.

Come on, come on, can't this thing speed up.

More silence.

Oh crap, what if she thinks I was going there to see her!

"I was given a gift voucher last year and it's nearly expired," I said.

Now I felt like a twit.

But I didn't care, we were now at the end of our travellators and we both said a quick goodbye.

I don't know why but after that ordeal I felt like I needed a shower.

No comments: