Monday, May 22, 2006

The Da Vinci Code

On Saturday I went with a friend to see this movie. Before I begin I would like to preface this by saying that I am a Christian (not Roman Catholic), and, I haven't read the book.

Ok, first, I did enjoy the movie for its entertainment value. I thought Tom Hanks did a good job of being Robert Langdon, but I suppose if you've read the book you've already got a mental picture of what your Robert Langdon will look like and Tom Hanks probably wasn't it.

If you liked National Treasure with Nicholas Cage you'll more than likely enjoy this movie too.

Now, even though this movie is touted as being fiction I have heard many people "lose their faith" or question the "very foundation of Christianity"... all over a fiction book!?

To be honest, I think those that have "lost their faith" were just looking for any excuse to pull out and this just happened to be the one to use as the best excuse.

As for Jesus running off with Mary Magdalene I've actually heard that story many many years ago when I was sharing my faith with a friend. No sooner had I began talking about the Bible did my friend stop me and tell me that his wife had a PhD in Theology.

Wow, I thought, I never would've thought you were Christians.

He then brought her in and she proceeded to give me the *real* story about what happened to Jesus and how he eloped with Mary Magdalene to France had a child and lived out a normal life, albeit a secret one.

Huh?

So, as you can see, the Da Vinci Code's plot about Jesus was nothing new to me, nor should it be anything new to those who read their bible. You only need turn a few pages into the book to notice that since the beginning of time Satan has tried to cast doubt into the minds of man to turn him away from the truth (read Genesis 3:1 "Yea, hath God said...").

One also only need read the amount of eyewitness accounts in the bible to see that this wasn't some contrived fantasy by a group of men to conspire against the world...

Luke, who wrote the book named after him and the book of Acts for his friend Theophilus, was instructed to give an account of everything that had happened (just read the first couple of verses of Luke 1:1-2). Luke was a physician (Colossians 4:14) and was extremely detailed in his historical account, so much so that Sir William Ramsay, a skeptical archaeologist, set out to disprove the bible by starting at Luke's gospel. He reasoned that if he could find an error in the bible he would easily be able to find it in Luke. What happened? Here's what he had to say after years of research...
"I regard Luke as the greatest historian who has ever lived, save only Thucydides."


In fact you'll find that most liberal and conservative scholars agree that Luke's account is of the highest accuracy. So why is it that everything about Luke's account is deemed accurate yet when it comes to Christ's crucifixion (Luke 23:26-49), burial (Luke 23:50-55), resurrection (Luke 24:1-12 & Acts 1:3-8), and ascension (Acts 1:9-11) everyone doubts and believes some fictional story!?

2 Timothy 4:4 speaks volumes.

Other eyewitness testimonies in the bible can be found here if you want to check them out...
- 2 Peter 1:16
- 1 Corinthians 15:3-8
- Acts 26:22-29

The reason why I detail these eyewitness accounts is to impress upon you that some of them (especially the 12 disciples) died horrific deaths. It makes you then wonder: if this was some conspiracy for what purpose did it fulfil them? Fame? Well I don't think you can cash your fame chips in when you're dead.

These guys were first hand eyewitnesses, not second or third hand eyewitnesses of those who wrote the gnostic gospels centuries AFTER everyone was gone (quoted in the movie as the gospel of Phillip, gospel of Mary etc etc), therefore if this whole Jesus thing was a lie these guys all knew it!

How many times have you heard of 12 blokes willing to die for a lie KNOWING it was a lie? I think you'll be hard pressed to find maybe one or two, and to think that all they had to do to stop their torture was deny Christ. I wonder how much pain you could endure before you decided to give up the lying game and return back to normalcy.

Anyway, I've got to go, as you can tell I could talk about this topic for ages. If you have any questions feel free to either add a comment, or email me, I'd be more than happy to answer, but please note: I'm not God.

I don't know everything, and I don't claim to... I just look at the facts and weigh the evidence.

1 Timothy 2:3-4

PS - on the "I'm not God" point if you think about it, anyone who claims God doesn't exist must be God themselves, right? I mean, if you know God doesn't exist that means you must know everything, because God might be in the areas you haven't looked. It makes you wonder at how true Psalm 53:1 is when it states, "A fool has said in his heart, There is no God."

Don't be a fool, question everything (1 Thessalonians 5:21).

1 comment:

mandy said...

I am so glad that someone can actually say, who is a christian, this was just what it claims to be...a NOVEL! I read the book and it was a great read, but for anyone with a lick of true faith, it makes no difference what they say, or at least it doesn't to me.