Friday, April 14, 2006

That Sinking Setup Feeling

It wasn't too long ago (probably a couple of weeks ago) when my brother's fiancee and I were talking about women.

I can't recall the exact reason on how we got onto such a topic, nor how it ended, but there was something she said that etched into my skull.

From memory I said something like,
"That's what my woman will need to do." (or something to that effect)

Where she then replied,
"I'm working on that."

Those very words frightened the crap out of me. I don't know if I laughed, cried, or ran away, but I remember what she said as if she were saying those very words right now in front of me.

Scary.

Moving on to this week I received a phone call from her.

"What are you doing Saturday night?"

I did have something planned, but it wasn't set in stone yet.

"I'm going down south with Jon-Jon."

"I thought your sister told me that was called off?"

The trip down south was looking like it wasn't going to eventuate, but I didn't want to play into her hand too soon.

"I'll have to contact him during the week to see if it's still on. Why? What's all the fuss about?"

"Adam and I are having a dinner party at Sandrino's in Freo on Saturday night and I'd really like you to be there."

The way she said it came across as a little desperate. My feminine side was beginning to super analyse the length, breadth and height of HOW she said what she did.

On Wednesday we all caught up at my parents place where they celebrated their 31st wedding anniversary. By the end of the night my brother's fiancee pulled me aside and asked if I was still coming.

This time I was able to read her body language - something definitely was up.

No sooner had she pulled me aside had my mobile rang with Jon-Jon on the end explaining that the trip down south was off.

Dang.

"You're coming," my brother's fiancee stated.

O crap.

I had no reasonable excuse to exit, so I agreed: at least I'll have a good meal.

Now if my fears are to be realised this Saturday I don't fear the setup as much as the type of person I'm going to be set up with. See, as some of you may have read in my previous post about how my brother's fiancee isn't the type of woman I'd spend much time with as she hardly laughs/smiles/has any sense of humour - I had the "privilege" not so long ago of meeting her best friend.

And several things dawned on me when I met this person (I forgot her name).

Have you ever heard of the saying:
You are the company you keep


Well having met my brother's fiancee's best friend I thought her face would cramp up if she ever smiled or broke out in laughter. Her lips were so tight I thought she had a double chin.

I'm serious folks, this woman also scared me.

So as you can no doubt appreciate these women that my brother's fiancee associates with aren't, shall we say, don't get very far with me.

I just hope I'm wrong about the whole night.

I guess we'll wait and see.

2 comments:

FJ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
FJ said...

Oh dear...

Well, I hope, for your sake, that Saturday night turns out to be the total opposite of what you expected it to be.

Good luck, Ryan.

...FJ.

PS, I goofed with the comment above, sowwy. :o(