Friday, April 21, 2006

Lady Paula

Many many years ago my mate Willo was single.

Well, I guess, in a way, he's kinda single now, but as he keeps hanging around his ex it's kind of hard to determine whether the on-again-off-again is back on again (if that made any sense?).

Anyway, last time Willo was single he had quite an array of female friends of which he used to talk about occassionally.

On one of these days he spoke about one particular woman that for some strange reason "felt" as though she would be the one for him.

I can't fully recall what he said that day, but it was either something that he said about her that I knew he was attracted to in a woman, or maybe the way he said it (I think my feminine side was having it's monthly period... eeek!).

But then that was that, and all I got was a name...

Paula.

Or as he called her,

"Lady Paula."

Oddly that name stuck with me, which was strange considering he had so many lady friends and talked about each one whenever the time arose. And it wasn't as if the name was anything spectacular, I mean, it wasn't a Charissa, or Amber, or Kate Beckinsale, BUT there was something about that woman that remained in my head.

It wasn't until he hit a low point a couple of years later and needed encouragement that I asked him about Paula.

"She's gone," he sobbed.

"What? What do you mean she's gone?"

"She left the country."

Oh.

"Why?"

I then tried my best to explain why out of all the women he had spoken of before this woman remained in my mind.

He listened and took it all in, but as she was gone any attempt to try and left his spirits at that point in time was as effective as a lead balloon. I realised I was giving him a fake hope and quickly tapered off the conversation and changed track.

Fast forward to yesterday...

Willo received a phone call from a friend and as the conversation continued my ears pricked at the sound of one name...

"Paula."

When he got off the phone he looked at me and said,

"You're not going to believe what just happened."

"What?"

"I was talking to Dan and out of the blue he just said that Paula was back!"

(Dan knew that Willo and Paula were good friends)

My eye's widened. I couldn't believe it.

"Paula's back," he echoed staring off into the distance his mind whirring away.

I love it when stuff like this happens (stuff from left field) even if nothing eventuates it sure makes the current moment exciting.

Here's hoping something DOES happen.

No comments: