Friday, March 31, 2006

A Troubled Past?

A couple of things I learnt yesterday that I forgot to mention about the grandfather I never knew was that there was a time in the past where the family had a falling out.

See, back when my grandfather was growing up his father was sent to France to face the first World War and died in battle. He left behind a wife, 2 sons and 1 daughter all of whom were now left to fend for themselves.

Throughout the next few years my grandfather set out to help his mother by providing for her needs and keeping her sustained throughout the remainder of her life.

It was when she passed away where all three siblings thought they were the rightful owner of the property their parents left behind - and this is what divided them.

Although the details were sketchy it hurt Roy financially as he had put so much of his earnings into the house never to recover anything back.

As the years passed and us grandkids grew our current step-grandfather wanted us to know our real heritage and went about setting up a meeting with Roy's uncle: Laurie.

Unbeknownst to us grandkids (apparently I was only about 10 at the time) my step-grandfather Bill put the proposal forward to my uncle (the eldest of the boys Roy had) and according to what Bill said, my uncle was vehemently opposed at the idea of us grandchildren meeting Laurie.

It must have been some fall out!

The meeting was then cancelled and within 6 months Laurie too passed away.

I don't know whatever happened to Roy's brother or sister, a part of me wants to know, wants to see what they all look like, but then again maybe that's why the past is so hidden...

It's not for us to know.

No comments: