Tuesday, January 03, 2006

2006 - The Year Of Surprises

I don't know if the year 2006 has been branded yet, but our family has had an exciting/interesting/unbelievable start to the year already...

My brother has gone down on bended knee and proposed!

To be completely honest I'm a little shocked. I mean, I'm happy for THEM, but just surprised about the whole thing.

I guess it might have to do with the fact that on New Year's Eve my brother and I spent some alone time together and the marriage issue was never raised. Being that we rarely kept secrets from each other and we'd always confide in each other I suppose it's just weird that something as big as marriage never surfaced a couple of days ago.

Maybe my little brother is all grown up now!

Wow.

Yep, I'm still stunned by it all... and I haven't even heard the news direct from him yet! I had the pleasure of hearing it from mum late last night. Here's an executive summary of how it all went down...

On Monday night my parents planned a dinner with relatives and a late inclusion into the night saw my brother and his woman rock up. Upon arriving late my brother addressed everyone as soon as they came to the table and said, "Before I begin there's something I'd like to tell everyone."

Everyone went silent.

And sure enough he told everyone that he and his woman were now engaged... with the wedding planned for this coming APRIL!

I would have loved to have seen the expression on my parent's faces when it happened!

Wow.

Yep, still stunned.

I know there's never an *exact* courting length of time that a couple must go through before getting married, but I wonder if 1 year is enough to really know what the other person is like.

I know one mate who has been happily married for a couple of years now and he met her in April and married before Christmas... and then there's another couple that I know of that have been married for about 7 years that were married around Easter after meeting around Christmas!

What is it with Christmas??

I swear Santa's putting dodgy stuff in those presents... I might have to plug up the chimney this year!

So, here's to 2006: The Year Of Surprises.

No comments: