Thursday, December 15, 2005

The Short Trip To Busso

We are in December are we not??

I would just like to publicly announce that I'm pretty ticked off with the summer we've had down here so far.

Why?

Well considering the fact that it has been raining sporadically over the last couple of weeks and not to mention the fact that the nights have been frickin cold one really has to wonder just what is going on with this world!

I think I'm going to need to give a good talk to that El Nino bloke.

I mean, can you believe I've only had ONE trip to the beach this summer and even then it wasn't all that hot on that day!

Anyway, on Tuesday I travelled down south with my pastor (Danny) and his son (Jake) to what I once knew as the old sleepy town of Busselton. See, when I was a kid our family used to travel to Busselton pretty much every year to see our cousins who lived in Dunsborough. When they moved north to Bunbury about 10 years ago I hadn't been back down this way since.

And boy have things changed since I was last there!

The town has traffic lights now... and dual carriageways... and McDonalds!

Unbelieveable.

When we arrived late Tuesday night in Busselton we bunked out at Danny's mate's place. It was nice being invited by another family and allowing a complete stranger, such as myself, to sleep over. They had three beautiful daughters all of which made me a little envious of wanting a family of my own, as does any happy family.

And speaking of a family of all daughters: has anyone ever noticed that in a family of all girls you'll generally find that one is more like a boy rather than a girl in their younger years?

I lived next door to a family of four girls and am friends with a chic who has two other sisters (no brothers), and in each family they have one girl who acts more like a boy growing up (they grow out of it when they're in their mid teens). Has anyone else noticed this?

Alright, moving on (where was I again?), oh yes, Busselton...

Yesterday we then went down to my old wonderful town of Dunsborough and decided to check out Yallingup while we there. Dunsborough had changed much, but I was glad to see that my old favourite bakery store was still there.

Anyway, I decided to show some pictures of the coastline at Yallingup (unfortunately the drab weather and raging winds didn't really allow me to show the real splendour of this wonderful place), but anyhoo...



Looking to the left of the Leeuwin sign we have Smith's beach. A popular surfing spot when it isn't like today...



Looking straight ahead...



Looking to the right...



And looking down at Jake wondering what the heck he's laughing at (I hope he didn't look up my skirt!)...



We drove a little further south to the town of Yallingup. As you can see the town of Yallingup is a protected area meaning that there are no Canadian women here...



The Yallingup reef is another popular surf spot that my father and his brothers frequented often during their younger years... unfortunately there isn't much action today...



Our last stop of the day (before it rained) was Canal Rocks. A notoriously dangerous spot during high swell... today was a low swell day...



Oddly enough the crossing bridge IS actually sturdy (it just looks like it might crumble and collapse)...



During high swell the waves collide at this junction showing some excellent shots, provided you don't mind your camera getting all wet with the resulting sea-spray...





Walking over the rocky outcrop can be fun and dangerous... who was the idiot was who decided to wear slacks? (Note to self: don't go hiking with slacks)



Jake makes good use of a natural wonder... a men's urinal...



Lastly, more crashing waves, and don't forget this is low swell stuff, high swell can see the whole outer rocky area completely engulfed with waves (as you can no doubt imagine)...





The trip was definitely enjoyable, unfortunately not long after we left Canal Rocks it rained, and we made the decision to head back home (about a 3.5 hour drive).

After it all we were all left wondering where summer had gone??? Can somebody please buzz her and tell her that she's needed in Perth, Western Australia, ASAP.

Are those in the northern hemisphere having warm winters???

If you are - I hope you're happy.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Warm winter? Pshaw, I say.

Those pictures are gorgeous. I love the ocean.