Thursday, November 24, 2005

When You Forget Your Friggin Password

One of the most annoying things in this age of technology is the quantity of passwords we need to keep just to keep our stuff "secure".

Just the other day I received a call from my bank informing me that my VISA card had been "compromised".

Great! I thought, it took me months trying to remember the PIN number on that card, and just when I've etched the PIN onto the inside of my skull they're going to send me out a new PIN number!

So this time I decided to go against the forbidden law of PIN number retention... I wrote the friggin number down.

(Not on the card mind you... I'm not *that* dumb!)

But still... naughty aren't I?

So, if somebody were to come across the entry in my journal that displayed a strange 4-numbered collection they could go to town on my VISA card and withdraw... oooo... $20.

Maybe I should get credit card cover for that!

But... that hasn't been the problem for today. Today I'm trying to access a site I used about a year ago and for the life of me I cannot remember the stupid password I used.

I've checked all my emails, all my journal entries... nothing.

In fact I've even typed in every single password imaginable (and yes I've tried "qwerty") and I still can't access the member's area.

Heck, if they stored every password I entered they could pretty much access EVERY password protected site I use now.

Maybe I'll get another call from the bank soon!

But then again the only thing I haven't given them is my PIN number.

Oh well, $20 says it ain't it...

Ryan

PS - does anybody have any techniques for remembering things? I know one way is to trace your steps, but unfortunately my time machine's run out of gas.

No comments: