Saturday, July 09, 2005

Depressed? Get Active... Now!

I'll be the first to admit that I've had periods where I have been depressed. Sometimes so depressed that I couldn't have even cared less if I died.

And boy were those low points in my life.

But did you know what changed it around?

I became active.

And no sooner had I started becoming more proactive in my life had things began to change.

Initially I started by giving myself a challenge, and making a vow that I wouldn't easily give up on that challenge if it was too hard. It started by doing one lap around the park.

Now, the park was probably only about 2km (about 1.25 miles) in diameter, but for the life of me when I started I just couldn't jog.

So I walked.

I had become so lazy and so depressed that I became a prisoner to my own thoughts... the only active muscle I had was the muscle between my ears, and even then it seemed as though it worked more against me than for me.

Now I wanted it to change. I wanted the muscle between my ears to start thinking positively. I had no idea if it was going to work. I didn't care.

I hated the other alternative anyway... I'd been there done that and didn't like it.

Now I was going to experience some real pain: physical pain. No longer were my thoughts going to be hampering me on what I could've, should've, would've done, now they were going to be proactive words: I can do it. I will do it. I am going to do it.

And as sheer luck or fate would have it, things did change!

I pushed myself to jog and eventually I jogged. I can remember the pain in my legs, the pain of my throbbing head for lack of water, but things changed!

No longer was I feeling sorry for myself, no longer did I feel trapped by the things I couldn't achieve, and no longer did I care about what other people said or thought.

I started with one small insignificant challenge and it was tough, but it eventually helped me grow and gave me the confidence and vitality I needed at that point in life.

I also changed my diet ridding myself of all the crap I was eating (garbage in, garbage out) and began to take a more proactive look at the things I was consuming.

I once weighed nearly 250 pounds (112kg) and within a matter of about 6 months I weighed about 175 pounds (80kg).

Since then I regularly attend my gym and now weigh around 200 pounds (90kg).

I'm healthier in body, I'm healthier in mind and I feel great.

If you're lonely, or are going through a rough patch in life, please don't think that you're the only one who's experienced it... many around the world have come to the same situation.

I'm no psychologist (or counsellor) and I'm not registered to give anybody ANY advice in matters like this, but I know when I was at my lowest ebb that the thing which changed it around was to become more ACTIVE physically.

And I just did it. Through migraines, headaches, soreness, aches and pains I didn't let anything hold me back. If I died because I overdid it then I at least my epitaph would have read "He tried... maybe too hard though".

I can't motivate you, only you can motivate you. Take a reality check on where you are now, and if you don't like it then try DOING something that will bring about a change in your situation to something that *you* will like about you.

Don't listen to others, don't care about what they think, or what you think they think. Just do it. You only get one shot at life, don't stuff it up.

You're far more precious than you know... well for a start you're reading my blog so I know you're pretty smart...

Don't give up.

Lastly, on that "Don't give up" theme I can remember sticking on my desk a couple of quotes that I really liked, which became my mantra when things got tough physically, it was:

A quitter NEVER wins, and
A winner NEVER quits (Napoleon Hill)


AND

It's hard to beat a person who never gives up (Babe Ruth)

Don't quit easily.

No comments: