Saturday, July 09, 2005

Being Complacent In Your Own Solitude

I have a theory about living alone - and this applies more so to men than women.

I believe that men who live alone become complacent in their own singleness, especially once they get into a routine that they're comfortable with.

I have an uncle that has been living by himself for the last 15 years (he's now in his mid-40s) and he recently broke up with yet another woman who he was dating seriously for nearly a year (the relationship looked serious enough to us from the outside).

And while this break up occurred I was at the time listening to a tape from Chuck Missler where he made some special emphasis on Genesis 2:24 where it states,

Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall become one flesh (KJV)

This verse is also repeated again in the New Testament, see Matthew 19:5, Mark 10:7, and Ephesians 5:31 which implies to me that this important... as why worry about repeating it 3 more times??

Now, you can intepret this verse in a myriad of ways, I understand that, but if we were to look at it from the physical aspect of a man physically leaving his parent's place and then moving to a place shared by he and his wife then it can take some profound signficance.

In light of this verse I think that there is some physical aspect that speaks volumes about relationships. I think it's important for people to remain at home with their folks until they do get married based simply on many facts:
  1. Men can get complacent and therefore unsacrificial to any relationship they start - they've fallen in love with their lifestyles more than the women they meet;

  2. Too easy to get up to mischief - if you know what I mean;

  3. Moving in to one person's place after marriage I think can create a cause where one can kick out the other because it's "theirs". If a married couple were to find a place together and share ownership of it then one doesn't have ownership over the other and therefore no one has more "right" over the other.


Each of these three points can leads us to problems that have been seen in society nowadays... the first one is depression among single middle aged men, the second STDs, and the third divorce. So I wonder how significant the verse that is repeated 4 times in the Bible really is?

Anyway, just thinking out aloud with thoughts that have been running through my head while I pondered about this issue.

No comments: